Joining Girl Guides of Canada as an Adult Member / Volunteer
Women join Guiding to make a difference in the lives of girls in their communities. It’s a chance to make new friends and gain new skills. Membership in Guiding also makes you part of the largest organization for girls and women in the world. No matter how much time you have to give, there's a place for you in Guiding. Volunteer in a way that relates to your interests, skill-sets and schedule. You can join ANYTIME during the year!
As an Adult Member of Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada you will help girls:
- Develop a sense of responsibility and independence
- Develop team skills and respect for each other
- Develop leadership skills
- Offer service in their communities
- Discover the best in themselves
To be a Member of Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada, volunteers must complete the Adult Screening Process.
- Provide two references who have seen you interacting with children
- Complete a Police Records Check (PRC) (paid for by Ontario Council if completed by BackCheck)
- Participate in an interview
In addition, if you are working with girls, you will be required to complete risk management training (Safe Guide) within 6 months of joining us. Training sessions are available face to face, online or by conference call.
Get started by completing the A.1 Membership Application Form (this is a pdf fillable form which must be printed and signed) and IR.1 Image Release Form. When your signed forms have been received and entered into our membership database (iMIS), if we do not have a valid PRC on file, you will receive an email with instructions on how to complete your PRC through BackCheck.
Return the completed forms to the membership team by email, fax or mail.
fax: (416) 920-1440
mail: 14 Birch Avenue, Toronto, ON M4V 1C8
- Orientation to Guiding The Accessible Customer Service section includes training content required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. It describes GGC's commitment to serving its Members, non-member volunteers, parents/guardians, employees and customers with disabilities and GGC's expectations of you as an adult Member.
- Mission, Vision, Promise and Law
- Code of Conduct
- Guiding across Canada
- Guiding Internationally
Adult volunteers must demonstrate the following:
- Positive role modeling
- Effective communication skills; verbal, written and interpersonal
- Strong values, social conscience and responsibility
- Leadership and life skills
- The desire to empower girls to reach their potential
- Commitment to providing girl-centered programming
Click here for more information about the opportunities available for adults.